adjectiveBotany & Zoology
- (Of a part) slender and tapering to a point; awl-shaped.More example sentences
- The Galápagos plant is a low shrub with subulate, hard, pungent leaves, apparently an adaptation to the arid conditions on the islands.
- The lamina is triangular-lanceolate with acute or more commonly subulate leaves.
- Calyx villose-hispid, teeth triangular, the lowest subulate, exceeding the others.
mid 18th century: from Latin subula 'awl' + -ate2.
More definitions of subulateDefinition of subulate in:
- The British & World English dictionary