Undermine the power and authority of (an established system or institution): an attempt to subvert democratic government
More example sentences
- Please reject this underhanded attempt to subvert democracy in Illinois.
- Even exercising our vote may turn out to be no more than palliative in a democracy continually subverted by the power of money.
- She clearly sees this as an attempt by the Republicans to steal her vote and subvert the system.
- Example sentences
- More importantly, and with wider relevance, the war was intended as a substantial demonstration of the continuing validity of the regulative order as against any would-be subverter of it.
- It cannot, for example, accommodate republicans, or socialists, or supra-nationalist subverters of British sovereignty.
- He won't win lots of popularity contests, but he's no subverter of the system's integrity.
Late Middle English: from Old French subvertir or Latin subvertere, from sub- 'from below' + vertere 'to turn'.
Words that rhyme with subvertadvert, alert, animadvert, assert, avert, Bert, blurt, Burt, cert, chert, concert, controvert, convert, curt, desert, dessert, dirt, divert, exert, flirt, girt, hurt, inert, insert, introvert, Kurt, malapert, overt, pert, quirt, shirt, skirt, spirt, spurt, squirt, Sturt, vert, wort, yurt
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.