Definition of subvocalize in English:
Utter (words or sounds) with the lips silently or with barely audible sound, especially when talking to oneself, memorizing something, or reading.
- ‘Obviously not a very efficient one,’ subvocalised Jacob.
- Despite all my training, subvocalizing into a throat mike was very different after the changes reinforcing my mouth and neck.
- As she left, she subvocalized, ‘I can talk, Reddie.’
- Example sentences
- In addition to subvocalization, reading also involves two other processes, translation and placement.
- Oddly, a number of researchers have reported that these subvocalisations are associated with audible speech.
- I never, ever, was able to suspend disbelief about subvocalization when reading science fiction.
Definition of subvocalize in:
- British & World English dictionary