Definition of succedaneum in English:
noun (plural succedanea-nēə)dated or literary
A substitute, especially for a medicine or drug.
- There is nothing so pleasant as to give oneself trouble for a person who is worth one's while. For the best of us, the study of the arts, a taste for old things, collections, gardens are all mere ersatz, succedanea, alibis.
- In lieu of me, you will have a very charming succedaneum, Lady Harriet Stanhope.
- Example sentences
- And the reason of it is, because this satisfaction, by a succedaneous substitution of one to undergo punishment for another, must be founded in a voluntary compact and agreement.
- Often these roots are flared, and the apical portions may be amputated and left behind in the jaw as the succedaneous tooth erupts.
- Although the deciduous teeth are in time replaced by the succedaneous teeth, the deciduous teeth play a very important role in the proper alignment, spacing, and occlusion of the permanent teeth.
Definition of succedaneum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan