Definition of succedaneum in English:
noun (plural succedanea-nēə)dated or literary
A substitute, especially for a medicine or drug.
- There is nothing so pleasant as to give oneself trouble for a person who is worth one's while. For the best of us, the study of the arts, a taste for old things, collections, gardens are all mere ersatz, succedanea, alibis.
- In lieu of me, you will have a very charming succedaneum, Lady Harriet Stanhope.
- Example sentences
- And the reason of it is, because this satisfaction, by a succedaneous substitution of one to undergo punishment for another, must be founded in a voluntary compact and agreement.
- Often these roots are flared, and the apical portions may be amputated and left behind in the jaw as the succedaneous tooth erupts.
- Although the deciduous teeth are in time replaced by the succedaneous teeth, the deciduous teeth play a very important role in the proper alignment, spacing, and occlusion of the permanent teeth.
Definition of succedaneum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.