1Assistance and support in times of hardship and distress.
- Victims' families had no protection, no succour or support.
- For Maud Martha, the house serves dual roles as the site of both her distress and her succor.
- These newcomers earned their living as small businessmen, religious teachers or labourers and were later to provide succour and support for the third wave of Indonesian migration to Thailand.
aid, help, a helping hand, assistance;
comfort, ease, relief, support, TLC
1.1 (succors) archaic Reinforcements of troops.
- The barbarians who had defended Gaul refused to march to the relief of Italy; and the succours promised by the Eastern emperor were distant and doubtful.
- Errors, indeed, prevail by the assistance of foreign and borrowed succors.
Give assistance or aid to: prisoners of war were liberated and succored
More example sentences
- They turned up quickly at the explosion site and helped crucially in succouring victims and in maintaining the integrity for forensic investigatory purposes of that scene of rare and serious crime.
- A major initiative aimed at supporting and succouring rural Yorkshire communities devastated by foot-and-mouth is to be launched by the Church of England.
- Hawker's published version accords him a heroic role in retrieving and burying all the Caledonia's dead and succouring her one survivor.
help, aid, bring aid to, give/render assistance to, assist, lend a (helping) hand to;
minister to, care for, comfort, bring relief to, support, take care of, look after, attend to
- Example sentences
- Such miserable events are of rare occurrence, but show how open, wild, and succourless the country still remains.
- Time was when Bhagatji used to go about seeking shelterless, succourless people, for care.
- Then, in the distance, it appeared - a beacon of food in a succorless landscape.
Middle English: via Old French from medieval Latin succursus, from Latin succurrere 'run to the help of', from sub- 'from below' + currere 'run'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.