- 1The action of killing oneself intentionally: he committed suicide at the age of forty drug-related suicidesMore example sentences
- What should you do if someone your child knows, perhaps a friend or a classmate, has attempted or committed suicide?
- None of their family members had attempted or committed suicide in the preceding year.
- Her father committed suicide, her mother attempted suicide and she is co-founder of the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention.
- 1.1A person who does this.More example sentences
- After, on average, more than twenty-six years, ninety-four per cent of the would-be suicides were either still alive or had died of natural causes.
- Over the years the Humber Bridge has built up an unenviable reputation for attracting would-be suicides.
- It could just be about the world's losers, the failed would-be suicides and all our broken hearts.
- 1.2A course of action that is disastrously damaging to oneself or one’s own interests: it would be political suicide to restrict criteria for unemployment benefitsMore example sentences
- For any processor, being associated with an outbreak of foodborne illness is not only ethically damaging, but financial suicide.
- Who will say ‘no’ when the consultants argue that it's political suicide not to say ‘yes’?
- I want to ask your outstanding panel, with the stock market way up and the economy roaring, why in the world would not it be political suicide to repeal the tax cut?
- 1.3 [as modifier] Relating to or denoting a violent act or attack carried out by a person who does not expect to survive it: a suicide bombingMore example sentences
- Several villages around the cities have also been occupied as the army tries to prevent militants from carrying out suicide bombings.
- In his usual style, he had set up entities to carry out the suicide bomb operations that allowed him to deny responsibility for them.
- They know that no military operation can stop the suicide bombers.
verb[no object] Back to top
- Intentionally kill oneself: he leaves the service and then suicidesMore example sentences
- Most of these people I believe are suiciding in advance of the time that they would rather take their own lives because they are afraid of losing the opportunity to take their own lives.
- So, that's the good news and we're even learning more so that perhaps in the future we get better at predicting who's most vulnerable to going and suiciding.
- We're not a deprived country, and yet why are so many young men suiciding?
mid 17th century: from modern Latin suicida 'act of suicide', suicidium 'person who commits suicide', from Latin sui 'of oneself' + caedere 'kill'.