Right or appropriate for a particular person, purpose, or situation: these toys are not suitable for children under five
More example sentences
- Just because something is already there does not make it suitable for the purpose.
- The job has been advertised but so far it has not produced a suitable candidate.
- It may be possible to predict which troops are, and are not, suitable for deployment.
acceptable, satisfactory, fitting
informal right up someone's alley
appropriate, fitting, fit, acceptable, right
appropriate to/for, suited to, befitting, in keeping with
informal cut out for
proper, seemly, decent, appropriate, fitting, befitting, correct, due
well qualified, well suited, appropriate, fitting
- Example sentences
- All varieties were also evaluated for their suitableness for drying and processing.
- Thus there is both a suitableness and a constancy in the workings of the heart.
- That God is willing that all should be saved, appears from the sufficiency of the provision which is made for the salvation of sinners; the frequent declarations that it is designed for all; the offers which are made indiscriminately to all; and the suitableness of the provision to the circumstances of all.
Late 16th century: from the verb suit, on the pattern of agreeable.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.