(chiefly British also sulphite)
- A salt of sulfurous acid, containing the anion SO32−.More example sentences
- Items to be avoided are lactose, yeast, artificial dyes, titanium dioxide preservatives, sulfites, synthetic colors, and gluten.
- Normally, sulfite oxidase metabolizes sulfites to sulfates, which are excreted in the urine or reused by the body.
- The sulfite provides sufficient alkalinity to activate and maintain the developing process, and in addition acts as a solvent.
late 18th century: French, alteration of sulfate (see sulfate).
More definitions of sulfiteDefinition of sulfite in:
- The British & World English dictionary