- A strong acid made by oxidizing solutions of sulfur dioxide and used in large quantities as an industrial and laboratory reagent. The concentrated form is an oily, dense, corrosive liquid.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: H2SO4
- If the alcohol (with the exception of methanol) is heated with aluminum oxide, phosphoric acid or excess sulphuric acid, an alkene is formed along with a molecule of water.
- The pair had been polishing off rough edges of metal from the inside of the stainless steel cylinder using an electro-plating process of pumping electricity through a solution of sulphuric acid and phosphoric acid.
- Oxidizing acids such as nitric acid or strong sulphuric acid cannot be handled with copper alloys.
More definitions of sulfuric acidDefinition of sulfuric acid in:
- The British & World English dictionary