Definition of sultana in English:
1A small, light brown, seedless raisin used in foods such as puddings and cakes.
- A few varieties are grown to produce raisins, sultanas, and currants.
- Soak the saffron and raisins or sultanas in 2 tbsp boiling water and set aside.
- See also currants, lexias, muscatels, sultanas, and raisins for specific sorts of dried grape.
2A wife or concubine of a sultan.
- When al-Musta'sim, the Abbasid caliph, opposed her reign, the sultana abdicated and married Aybek.
- From this point onward, the future sultana steadily gained influence in the sultan's eyes.
- For example, in order to control her second husband, the sultana had to kill him.
Words that rhyme with sultanaAfricana, Afrikaner, Americana, ana, banana, Botswana, bwana, cabana, caragana, Christiana, Dana, darner, Edwardiana, garner, Georgiana, Ghana, Gloriana, Guiana, gymkhana, Haryana, iguana, Lana, lantana, liana, Lipizzaner, Ljubljana, Mahayana, mana, mañana, marijuana, nirvana, Oriana, pacarana, piranha, prana, Purana, Rosh Hashana, Santayana, Setswana, Tatiana, Tijuana, Tirana, tramontana, Tswana, varna, Victoriana, zenana
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan