noun (plural sulus)
- A length of cotton or other light fabric wrapped about the body as a sarong, worn from the waist by men and full-length by women from the Melanesian Islands.More example sentences
- I had flown 16 hours and more than 8,000 miles from New York, and I thought that I had landed in the '60s, everywhere there were smiling men and women clad in colorful sulus, sporting Afros, and exchanging a robust ‘Bula!’
- Traditional Fijian clothing for men is a native kilt called a sulu.
- A senior man beats a log drum to summon the village to afternoon prayer; women in ‘Mother Hubbard’ dresses and men in sulu wraps file into the stone Methodist church and Sweet Jesus hymns waft out.
More definitions of suluDefinition of sulu in:
- The British & World English dictionary