1The process of adding things together: the summation of numbers of small pieces of evidence
More example sentences
- An efficient algorithm for Ewald summation calculations for the multistate empirical valence bond model is also introduced.
- The summation and multiple integration required to calculate the integrated likelihood for s 01 and s 10 are impossible to perform analytically.
- The two most often cited explanations for this phenomenon are unmasking of the effects of deleterious recessive alleles and summation of the dominant effects of multiple loci brought together in the progeny.
1.1A sum total of things added together.
- In the proposed algorithms, the total deduct-value for a specific sample is a weighted summation of each individual deduct-value that is present.
- If matter is atomic, then it is already a collection of determinate objects in its own right, and it becomes natural to regard the properties of macroscopic substances as mere summations of the natures of the atoms.
- For example, business cycle indicators such as the Conference Board's indexes of leading, coincident, and lagging indicators are essentially weighted summations of key monthly indicators.
- Within each, Rody presents a series of readings on canonical and non-canonical authors with entire chapters devoted to some writers, sections, paragraphs and brief plot summations for others.
- Until then, these summations from Four Word Reviews will keep me company.
- Mazower dutifully ends his narrative with brief summations of its recent progress, but they can only come as anticlimax to the terrific events of its past.
2.2 Law An attorney’s closing speech at the conclusion of the giving of evidence.
- The lawyer is not allowed to refer to the false testimony during summation.
- In their summation to jurors, prosecutors again sought literature as a touchstone, but not noir fiction this time.
- Rather, their lawyers cross examine the government's witnesses, and argue in their opening summation that the government has not met its burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.
- Example sentences
- If you change the relationships of the length of the waves, the summational pattern will likewise change.
- The stories of the latter part of the book of Genesis are told in a very summational fashion in early Exodus.
- Instead, he pares down, offering a summational album, his most relaxed and unforced in years.
- Example sentences
- The new system of continuous and comprehensive evaluation is nothing but the formative and summative evaluation system which was envisioned in the National Education Policy of 1986.
- Evaluation in this context clearly cannot be a summative, but involves the immersion of the student in a process of collaboration.
- This exposition, necessarily summative and schematic, should not be implied as reflecting a desire for theoretical closure.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of summation in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.