(also summer house)
Definition of summerhouse in English:
1A small, typically rustic building in a garden or park, used for sitting in during the summer months.
- At about 5.30 pm, she brought a picnic out for the girls to have in the summerhouse.
- The next stage of their project is to acquire funding to build a summerhouse on a platform deck.
- A sunny patch along their south-west facing garden wall seemed the obvious spot for a summerhouse.
1.1 (usually summer house) A cottage or house use as a second residence, especially during the summer.
- Leaving such a fundamental issue to private capital is like vacating the summerhouse without securing the front door.
- Originally a fortified summerhouse belonging to the local caid (district administrator), it was abandoned in 1956, when Morocco won its independence from the French, and fell into ruin.
- The Perrse had a summerhouse in New Quay and they called it Mount Vernon after the summerhouse of George Washington.
Words that rhyme with summerhousebarrelhouse
Definition of summerhouse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan