(also summer house)
Definition of summerhouse in English:
1A small, typically rustic building in a garden or park, used for sitting in during the summer months.
- At about 5.30 pm, she brought a picnic out for the girls to have in the summerhouse.
- The next stage of their project is to acquire funding to build a summerhouse on a platform deck.
- A sunny patch along their south-west facing garden wall seemed the obvious spot for a summerhouse.
1.1 (usually summer house) A cottage or house use as a second residence, especially during the summer.
- Leaving such a fundamental issue to private capital is like vacating the summerhouse without securing the front door.
- Originally a fortified summerhouse belonging to the local caid (district administrator), it was abandoned in 1956, when Morocco won its independence from the French, and fell into ruin.
- The Perrse had a summerhouse in New Quay and they called it Mount Vernon after the summerhouse of George Washington.
Words that rhyme with summerhousebarrelhouse
Definition of summerhouse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.