Definition of summon in English:
- She studied him as he summoned the waitress and ordered more tea, and found what she saw to her liking.
- She's been looking for a new job for over 2 years so when she found out she'd got this one, she summoned me round immediately to drink champagne with her.
- It tasted great too, so it was with heavy heart that I summoned a waiter over and told him I had never ordered rabbit before and I simply did not like the taste.
- Several people reported that it was only when a symptom in common with the previous acute myocardial infarction occurred that they summoned medical help.
- ‘Not one of the boys went to his aid, or thereafter summoned help, or displayed any concern for their hapless victim,’ said Mr Martin.
- In the bedroom and bathroom are other safety gadgets - alarms that automatically summon help if the floor floods, or if the wearer takes a fall.
- The holding has filed in court several objections; the main being that the meeting was summoned by a management not listed in the Trade Register.
- He summoned a family meeting to plot a fightback.
- Manda proposed that the ZRFU should summon a meeting of councillors to discuss the change of tenure of office from two to four years and then hold elections for new office bearers.
- Wanderers didn't strain every sinew and summon every ounce of effort to gain promotion just to spend a season in the Premiership playing for sympathy.
- He summons every bit of his charisma to inject his character with life, and make his CIA agent a cinematic treat and based on reality in equal parts.
- He said he was summoning his years of physical and spiritual training as a fighting monk.
- As he searches his notebooks, images from earlier films are summoned up.
- What distinguishes this work from her previous evocations of food is her absolute dedication to summoning it up intensely.
- I know it constitutes an effort to summon up a sense of everyday life in a small town that is not precisely like every other in Germany.
- Example sentences
- It means the summonable monsters have a shot of being in this game!
- I've been surprised by the fact that the summonable beasts’ attacks are FMVs, as good-looking as the Advent Children movie, if not better.
- Only 2 pets can be in a stable at any given time while a third is unstabled and summonable at the hunter's command.
- Example sentences
- Chaucer's habit of poking fun at pardoners and summoners is not so much an example of impiety as a way of demonstrating how much virtue he has to spare.
- Certainly he is the guardian of ghosts, the lord of black ink, the prince of parchment and a summoner of souls.
- Clocking in at just over a dozen jobs, players will have warriors, red, black, and white mages, paladins, thieves, samurai, ninjas, dragoons, monks, summoners, beast masters, and dark knights at their disposal.
The source of summon is Latin summonere, originally meaning ‘give a hint’ but later used in the sense ‘call, summon’. It was formed from sub- ‘secretly’ and monere ‘warn’.
Words that rhyme with summonchurchwoman • acumen
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.