noun (plural sumos)
- 1A Japanese form of heavyweight wrestling, in which a wrestler wins a bout by forcing his opponent outside a marked circle or by making him touch the ground with any part of his body except the soles of his feet.More example sentences
- Many of the old and traditional art forms like for instance Japanese sumo wrestling could remain their popularity until our days.
- It used to be that retiring Japanese sumo wrestling champions stayed in the sport after peaking in the ring.
- The prime minister also told the emperor that sumo has become a craze in his country, and the Japanese sumo wrestlers are well known, the palace officials said.
- 1.1A sumo wrestler.More example sentences
- Traditionally, the sumos ate lots of food before bed and even in the middle of the night to gain flab, not muscle.
- It's odd to see Ellis and Glover lined up with two hands on the ground, legs spread and feet even, more like sumos than sprinters.
- There's a crazy neighbour that runs around dressed more as a sumo than a samurai.
from Japanese sūmo.
More definitions of sumoDefinition of sumo in:
- The British & World English dictionary