(also sun bittern)
Definition of sunbittern in English:
A tropical American wading bird with a long bill, neck, and legs, having mainly grayish plumage but showing chestnut and orange on the wings when they are spread in display.
- Eurypyga helias, the only member of the family Eurypygidae
- Entire avian families, including cotingas, manakins, toucans, and ground antbirds, are essentially confined to the Neotropics, as are such unique species as screamers, trumpeters, sunbittern, hoatzin, and boat-billed heron.
- The sunbittern is an elegant bird, with a long bill, slender neck and long legs.
- This is a great opportunity to see herons, cormorants, kingfishers and sunbitterns.
late 19th century: so named because of the pattern on the spread wings, which resembles a sunset.
Definition of sunbittern in:
- British & World English dictionary