(also sun bittern)
Definition of sunbittern in English:
A tropical American wading bird with a long bill, neck, and legs, having mainly grayish plumage but showing chestnut and orange on the wings when they are spread in display.
- Eurypyga helias, the only member of the family Eurypygidae
- Entire avian families, including cotingas, manakins, toucans, and ground antbirds, are essentially confined to the Neotropics, as are such unique species as screamers, trumpeters, sunbittern, hoatzin, and boat-billed heron.
- The sunbittern is an elegant bird, with a long bill, slender neck and long legs.
- This is a great opportunity to see herons, cormorants, kingfishers and sunbitterns.
Late 19th century: so named because of the pattern on the spread wings, which resembles a sunset.
Definition of sunbittern in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan