- A dish of ice cream with added ingredients such as fruit, nuts, syrup, and whipped cream.More example sentences
- Make individual pizzas for dinner, ice cream or yogurt sundaes for dessert and pancakes for breakfast.
- Use it trickled over ice-cream sundaes, on pancakes, or with the banana fool above.
- They're gambling that the lack of an ice-cream sundae or a slice of warm apple pie won't hurt their business and may actually increase it.
late 19th century (originally US): perhaps an alteration of Sunday, either because the dish was made with ice cream left over from Sunday and sold cheaply on Monday, or because it was sold only on Sundays, a practice devised (according to some accounts) to circumvent Sunday legislation.
More definitions of sundaeDefinition of sundae in:
- The British & World English dictionary