A solution of a strong acid in a very acidic (usually nonaqueous) solvent, functioning as a powerful protonating agent.
- Typical solid Brönsted superacids include titanium dioxide: sulfuric acid and zirconium dioxide: sulfuric acid mixtures.
- What makes superacids difficult is that chemistry's going on, the making and breaking of bonds.
- Urea and substituted ureas exhibit a weak basicity and may bind a superacid in the form of a quarternary ammonium salt.
- Example sentences
- These versatile liquids exhibit Brønsted and Lewis acidity and superacidity; they include liquids ranging from hydrophobic to hydrophilic, and from water-sensitive to air stable.
- Hammett's first great contribution to chemistry was the concept of superacidity and his acidity function.
- As the range of superacidity covers over 11 logarithmic units of the Hammett acidity scale, the mechanistic behavior of small alkanes vary accordingly.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of superacid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.