Definition of superacid in English:
A solution of a strong acid in a very acidic (usually nonaqueous) solvent, functioning as a powerful protonating agent.
- Typical solid Brönsted superacids include titanium dioxide: sulfuric acid and zirconium dioxide: sulfuric acid mixtures.
- What makes superacids difficult is that chemistry's going on, the making and breaking of bonds.
- Urea and substituted ureas exhibit a weak basicity and may bind a superacid in the form of a quarternary ammonium salt.
- Example sentences
- These versatile liquids exhibit Brønsted and Lewis acidity and superacidity; they include liquids ranging from hydrophobic to hydrophilic, and from water-sensitive to air stable.
- Hammett's first great contribution to chemistry was the concept of superacidity and his acidity function.
- As the range of superacidity covers over 11 logarithmic units of the Hammett acidity scale, the mechanistic behavior of small alkanes vary accordingly.
Definition of superacid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan