- A system producing severe thunderstorms and featuring rotating winds sustained by a prolonged updraft that may result in hail or tornadoes.More example sentences
- As mentioned earlier, a type of thunderstorm called a supercell creates the strongest tornadoes.
- This disturbance provides the strong vertical wind shear that gives an updraft its twisting motion, turning a normal thunderstorm into a potentially tornado spawning supercell.
- These state-of-the-art detection units allow forecasters to peek inside a supercell and look for a Tornado Vortex Signature, or TVS.
More definitions of supercellDefinition of supercell in:
- The British & World English dictionary