- another term for superhelix.More example sentences
- A proposed geometry of the LacI loop as a tight supercoil away from the protein has been controversial, and it is likely that loop geometry is different for different DNA sequences.
- Its major biological role in the bacterial cell is the removal of excessive negative supercoils from DNA to maintain the DNA at optimal superhelical density along with DNA gyrase.
- This characteristic pattern of plateaus and jumps is observed using Drosophila melanogaster Topo II demonstrating that this enzyme simultaneously binds to the G- and T-segments and stabilizes plectonemic supercoils.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Form (a substance) into a superhelix: (as adjective supercoiled) a supercoiled circular DNA moleculeMore example sentences
- Extensions from linear to circular supercoiled DNA were subsequently reported, including improvements that extended the coverage from low salt to physiological salt conditions.
- Chromosomes are visible only during cell division, when the DNA is supercoiled and condensed to facilitate distribution into daughter cells.
- Interestingly, the structure of the H-NS-DNA complex alone permits the nucleoid to respond, with high sensitivity, to changes in temperature and osmolarity, independent of additional host proteins and changes in DNA supercoiling.
More definitions of supercoilDefinition of supercoil in:
- The British & World English dictionary