Definition of supercoil in English:
another term for superhelix.
- A proposed geometry of the LacI loop as a tight supercoil away from the protein has been controversial, and it is likely that loop geometry is different for different DNA sequences.
- Its major biological role in the bacterial cell is the removal of excessive negative supercoils from DNA to maintain the DNA at optimal superhelical density along with DNA gyrase.
- This characteristic pattern of plateaus and jumps is observed using Drosophila melanogaster Topo II demonstrating that this enzyme simultaneously binds to the G- and T-segments and stabilizes plectonemic supercoils.
verb[with object] Back to top
Form (a substance) into a superhelix: (as adjective supercoiled) a supercoiled circular DNA molecule
More example sentences
- Extensions from linear to circular supercoiled DNA were subsequently reported, including improvements that extended the coverage from low salt to physiological salt conditions.
- Chromosomes are visible only during cell division, when the DNA is supercoiled and condensed to facilitate distribution into daughter cells.
- Interestingly, the structure of the H-NS-DNA complex alone permits the nucleoid to respond, with high sensitivity, to changes in temperature and osmolarity, independent of additional host proteins and changes in DNA supercoiling.
Definition of supercoil in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan