- Each of several large landmasses (notably Pangaea, Gondwana, and Laurasia) thought to have divided to form the present continents in the geological past.More example sentences
- The Tethys Sea also expanded westward, splitting Pangaea into the supercontinents of Gondwana (in the South) and Laurasia (in the North).
- Amalgamation of the late Palaeozoic supercontinent Pangaea led to the collision of Gondwana with Laurasia forming the Variscan orogen.
- First it formed two supercontinents, Laurasia and Gondwanaland.
More definitions of supercontinentDefinition of supercontinent in:
- The British & World English dictionary