Definition of supercool in English:
verb[with object] Chemistry
1Cool (a liquid) below its freezing point without solidification or crystallization.
- Other common supercooled liquids are ordinary glass and asphalt.
- We observed that in the spinning rotor water could be supercooled by several degrees below the freezing point.
- Only four ship terminals capable of handling imports of supercooled liquid natural gas exist in the U.S., and they're at full capacity.
1.1 [no object] Biology (Of a living organism) survive body temperatures below the freezing point of water.
- Incidental observations made during the course of this investigation suggested that hatchling C. picta can survive supercooling to at least - 15 [degrees] C.
- Hatchling painted turtles commonly overwinter within their natal nests and survive exposure to temperatures as low as - 12 [degrees] C by supercooling.
- The differences in supercooling capacities were attributed to interpopulational variation in cold hardiness, as putatively manifested by the presence of an ‘endogenous nucleator,’ in the Illinois turtles.
adjectiveinformal Back to top
Extremely attractive, impressive, or calm: the supercool tracks in this collection
More example sentences
- So if your record collection is going to be the supercool soundtrack to your life that you need it to be, somebody - SOMEBODY - has to have considered that fact before they made it.
- In the late 1940s, D' Amato bought a struggling Atlantic City restaurant with a backroom gambling operation, the 500 Club, and turned it into ‘ground zero for the supercool lifestyle.’
- A truism these days among Internet angels and venture capitalists holds that a stellar management team is worth more than a supercool business plan.
Definition of supercool in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.