noun (plural superegos)Psychoanalysis
- The part of a person’s mind that acts as a self-critical conscience, reflecting social standards learned from parents and teachers. Compare with ego and id.More example sentences
- Normally, if I wanted to rob a bank, the superego or conscience would force a delay, and the trigger is the anxiety [I would feel] in anticipation of doing something wrong.
- This sense of conscience-whether individually internalized or mandated by a collective consciousness-forces the superego to engage in battle with the harsh aggressiveness that the ego would like to inflict upon others.
- Freud approaches this situation by way of the model of the primeval id set against the cultivations of the superego; Marcuse counterpoints the libidinous Eros impulse against the regulating structures of Civilisation.
More definitions of superegoDefinition of superego in:
- The British & World English dictionary