Definition of supereminent in English:
Chiefly dated term for preeminent.
- Counsel emphasised that the exercise of the supereminent jurisdiction of the Court of Session must be confined to bodies in Scotland, for it had no power to enforce its decisions against bodies furth of Scotland.
- He was born supereminent at a distance, bearing a name renowned in far off region.
- In two grand, characteristic attributes, it is supereminent over all others: first in its universality, for it is capacious enough to receive and cherish in its paternal bosom every child that comes into the world: and second, in the timeliness of the aid it proffers, - its early, seasonable supplies of counsel and guidance making security antedate danger.
- Example sentences
- Judas does not become a critic, he does not even become a Pharisee; he becomes a supereminent traitor, just because of the supereminence of the Person he once adored.
- Whence he is said to have supereminence over all other superiors.
- This could best be effected if the members of the administration realised their equality with the citizens, with the only supereminence of justice.
- Example sentences
- This is true of every religion, but supereminently so of the religion of love.
- The valley through which the Guadalquivir winds its course, is supereminently fertile, and from it the French armies derive the greatest part of their forage and provisions.
- It is not of the same importance to the public that advocates should be supereminently skilful: their occupation is not to seek out what is agreeable to justice, but what agrees with the interest of the party to which chance has engaged them.
Definition of supereminent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan