noun (plural superfamilies)Biology
- 1A taxonomic category that ranks above family and below order.More example sentences
- The first group includes the molecule belonging to the species of the superfamilies Cavioidea and Chinchilloidea, which conserves the number of residues (chain A with 21 and chain B with 30 residues).
- On the basis of broad structural characteristics, amphibian antimicrobial peptides have been grouped into superfamilies, each being differentiated into various families.
- Several of the superfamilies include members from two or three different eukaryotic kingdoms, which suggests that they have diverged early during or before eukaryotic evolution.
- 1.1 Linguistics another term for phylum.
More definitions of superfamilyDefinition of superfamily in:
- The British & World English dictionary