Definition of superfluidity in English:
The property of flowing without friction or viscosity, as in liquid helium below about 2.18 kelvins.
- In addition to being fascinating in their own right, experiments on quantum gases are relevant to many different areas of physics - from atomic clocks and quantum computing to superfluidity and quantum phase transitions.
- The researchers were able to exploit the link between second sound and superfluidity to prove that superfluid helium - 3 and superfluid helium - 4 were present in their experiment at the same time.
- As far as we know, superfluidity is a unique consequence of Bose - Einstein condensation, although condensation does not necessarily produce a superfluid.
- Example sentences
- The creation of the first fermionic condensate will herald a new generation of research into the properties of superfluids and superconductors
- Just as in Bose-Einstein condensation, the Cooper pairs can fall into a single quantum state and thus cause a phase transition to a superconducting or superfluid phase.
- At such density, all the space is squeezed out of the atoms inside the neutron star, and protons and electrons squeeze into neutrons, leaving a neutron superfluid, a liquid that flows without friction.
Pronunciation: /ˈso͞opərˌflo͞o-id/noun& adjective
Definition of superfluidity in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia