The property of flowing without friction or viscosity, as in liquid helium below about 2.18 kelvins.
- In addition to being fascinating in their own right, experiments on quantum gases are relevant to many different areas of physics - from atomic clocks and quantum computing to superfluidity and quantum phase transitions.
- The researchers were able to exploit the link between second sound and superfluidity to prove that superfluid helium - 3 and superfluid helium - 4 were present in their experiment at the same time.
- As far as we know, superfluidity is a unique consequence of Bose - Einstein condensation, although condensation does not necessarily produce a superfluid.
- Example sentences
- The creation of the first fermionic condensate will herald a new generation of research into the properties of superfluids and superconductors
- Just as in Bose-Einstein condensation, the Cooper pairs can fall into a single quantum state and thus cause a phase transition to a superconducting or superfluid phase.
- At such density, all the space is squeezed out of the atoms inside the neutron star, and protons and electrons squeeze into neutrons, leaving a neutron superfluid, a liquid that flows without friction.
Definition of superfluidity in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.