Definition of superheterodyne in English:
Denoting or using a system of radio and television reception in which the receiver produces a tunable signal that is combined with the incoming signal to produce a predetermined intermediate frequency, on which most of the amplification is formed.
- The Lockheed Martin AN / ALR - 56M radar warning receiver is a superheterodyne receiver operating in the 2-20GHz band.
nounBack to top
A superheterodyne receiver.
- Both radios are similar in design - five - tube superheterodynes with both broadcast and shortwave tuning.
- Its quality stood behind the commercial superheterodynes which were produced for marine and navy applications ten years ago.
- The public was not so receptive since superheterodynes were complicated devices requiring many controls, as well as lots of tubes and batteries.
Definition of superheterodyne in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.