1(Of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature: a supernatural being
More example sentences
- So whenever an overly supernatural event happens, it's almost a distraction, rather than the thrilling surprise the creators were hoping for.
- There are no supernatural events, wild chases through the jungle, superpowers, or other falsehoods.
- However, the similarity lies in that they both describe mysterious and supernatural events as they occur, both of which remain resolved at the story's end.
Manifestations or events considered to be of supernatural origin, such as ghosts.
- The device was not new to Copanec monuments of the eighth century; the inscription of Copan Stela 6 recounts a royal ritual in 682 at which a company of ‘four lords, four young ones ‘- perhaps deities or supernaturals - looked on.’
- Both Apache Crown Dancers and Navajo Yeibichei dancers wear masks and sing partially in falsetto or in voices imitating the supernaturals.
- They're populated by gentry, religious, working people, strangers, supernaturals, and an occasional chieftain, and at some point, everyone dances.
- Example sentences
- The trend during the past 10 years or so has shown that people (not only children) are inclined to watch films/serials portraying or reflecting supernaturalism.
- Scientific naturalism has thus dislodged theological supernaturalism as the cosmological outlook of the contemporary intellectual world.
- In such a view, the religious framework of Christianity was aligned with scientific naturalism, and non-Christian supernaturalism was aligned with superstition.
- Example sentences
- I'm beginning to think - supernaturalist that I am - that whoever is behind this is not human and to suspect that the only way out of this impasse is prayer, fasting and major major spiritual warfare.
- There are some supernaturalists and some naturalists who are determinists and who do not hold anyone accountable for anything, except God or nature.
- The pagan supernaturalist did so by raising the merely material to the level of spirit or the divine. The materialist does so by lowering what is truly spiritual or in the divine image to the level of matter.
- [as submodifier]: the monster was supernaturally strongMore example sentences
- Most masquerades are activated and protected by supernaturally charged ‘medicines,’ substances made from sacred materials that are placed on the masks or the bodies of the maskers.
- But when the band lose their songwriting puff, the effect is almost supernaturally irritating.
- The mourning poetic prophet who is both supernaturally empowered and uniquely suffering is a very powerful ideological figure with whom to ally oneself, as the Miltonic narrator does here.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.