Definition of supernumerary in English:
1.1(Of a person) not belonging to a regular staff but engaged for extra work.
- Many of these men were drawn from among the ranks of principal and supernumerary soldiers serving in guard units of the Northern Metropolitan Area, a pool of men with a modicum of military training and ready access to the weapons of the day.
- As the number of supernumerary troops in the garrisons grew, many were put to work on the agricultural colonies, becoming servants and construction laborers, or pressed into active military service.
- Consider, for example, the mid-fifteenth century case of Duan Gang, a supernumerary soldier from a guard unit attached to an imperial prince who resided in Luzhou, Shanxi Province.
1.3 Botany & Zoology Denoting a structure or organ occurring in addition to the normal ones: a pair of supernumerary teats
More example sentences
- The most common variation of the lungs is the presence of supernumerary fissures.
- Most frequently seen are supernumerary nipples anywhere along the primitive milk line, though true accessory mammary glands are most frequently located in the axilla (polymastia).
- Various cases of supernumerary testicles have been reported during operations or in physical examination (without histological proof, however).
noun (plural supernumeraries)Back to top
A supernumerary person or thing.
- They were there merely as props, as so many supernumeraries in his private psychodrama.
- Although public indignation at the burgeoning Civil List led to some drastic pruning, the Royal supernumeraries continued to live high on the hog.
- The rest of the cast are really supernumeraries; other ranks, captured German soldiers, etc although, again, they are well played and convincing in what they are called upon to do.
Definition of supernumerary in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia