- A very powerful and influential nation (used especially with reference to the US and the former Soviet Union when these were perceived as the two most powerful nations in the world).More example sentences
- The first occasion was the collapse of the Soviet superpower enemy and of Communism as an ideology.
- It is very difficult to be capitalist when there is a communist superpower invading most of Eastern Europe and trying to do the same in Africa and South America.
- When Bobby Fischer met Boris Spassky at the 1972 World Chess Championship, the event was redolent with the superpower politics of the Cold War.
More definitions of superpowerDefinition of superpower in:
- The British & World English dictionary