noun (plural suppositories)
- A solid medical preparation in a roughly conical or cylindrical shape, designed to be inserted into the rectum or vagina to dissolve.More example sentences
- They are available as tablets, capsules, liquids and suppositories (medication placed in the vagina or anus).
- If the suppository is too soft to insert, chill the suppository in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or run cold water over it before removing the foil wrapper.
- As the rectal suppositories melt, the medication soothes the inflamed area, providing symptomatic relief and promoting healing.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin suppositorium, neuter (used as a noun) of late Latin suppositorius 'placed underneath'.
More definitions of suppositoryDefinition of suppository in:
- The British & World English dictionary