Definition of surety in English:
noun (plural sureties)
1A person who takes responsibility for another’s performance of an undertaking, for example their appearing in court or the payment of a debt.
- So far, we have not referred to the practice of landlords requiring a tenant or assignee of a lease to provide guarantors or sureties for his performance of the covenants in the lease.
- Democracy itself requires that all public power be lawfully conferred and exercised, and of this the courts are the surety.
- Cost increases and poor response by sureties in some sub defaults have caused more customers to shop around.
1.1Money given to support an undertaking that someone will perform a duty, pay their debts, etc.; a guarantee: the judge granted bail with a surety of $500
More example sentences
- Ashman was then remanded in custody with consent to bail on his bond of €750 and an independent surety of €1,500.
- The Railway Procurement Agency has independent sureties and bonds for the trams valued at €8 million.
- The first was for a bail hearing and the second - yesterday - to lodge 5,000 euros with the court as surety to guarantee his bail.
1.2The state of being sure or certain of something: I was enmeshed in the surety of my impending fatherhood
More example sentences
- The situation remains complex and immensely uncertain, and there is no surety that the peace process will last.
- There are games that have handled with an equal degree of surety, but never in the context of such a complex control scheme and game world.
- No one can predict with surety that someone will never act dysfunctionally again.
- Example sentences
- There is no doubt that in a contract of guarantee parties may, if so minded, exclude any one or more of the normal incidents of suretyship.
- Their lists of fines and the intricacies of suretyship are guidance precisely for the conduct of arbitration, where settlement could only be achieved if it were seen to be just and honourable.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan