1Water that collects on the surface of the ground.
- Seoul Rules also dealt with the protection of ground water and urged the riparian states to consider integrated management by a conjunctive use of surface water and ground water.
- Energy advected to and from the lake by precipitation, surface water, and ground water had little effect on evaporation rates.
- It enters the soil, surface water and eventually the ground water.
2 (also surface waters) The top layer of a body of water: the surface water of a pond or lake
More example sentences
- Ocean acidification starts at the surface and spreads to the deep sea as surface waters mix with deeper layers.
- These tides slowly replenish the deep fully marine waters with oxygen and nutrients while the surface waters, containing as they do a component from rainfall, remain brackish.
- Oxygenation of the sea floor is largely regulated by the renewal rate of the bottom water and the concentration of dissolved oxygen in that water, while organic production in surface waters is largely nutrient dependent.
Definition of surface water in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.