A loose white linen vestment varying from hip-length to calf-length, worn over a cassock by clergy, acolytes, and choristers at Christian church services.
More example sentences
- Powerful lights made their white surplices glow like neon, and the pulpitted priest seemed to be borne aloft on a cloud of pure radiance.
- White T-shirts, white jeans, white ponchos, even white surplices stood out in the hot July sun.
- Once I had stuffed myself behind the wheel with my surplice billowing around me like a collapsed parachute, I switched into passive mode.
- More example sentences
- The introduction of the surpliced choir in England has been associated with the Cambridge Camden Society.
- We had banners, chanting, and a number of surpliced clergy, besides a large congregation.
- Gradually a surpliced choir began to lead the music.
Definition of surplice in:
- The British & World English dictionary