Definition of surreptitious in English:
- Thanks to e-mail, the modern workplace is a hive of covert communication and surreptitious sociability.
- The stowing of the rubbish seemed surreptitious, even furtive, to a young and ignorant mind.
- Very often staff feel that their colleagues have been silently and invisibly spirited out of the company in a surreptitious and clandestine manner.
- Example sentences
- The first mile was flat and we would all surreptitiously try to position ourselves for the hills.
- It was there that I was able to surreptitiously cross-examine these men.
- These are some of the same people who surreptitiously smeared John McCain in the last election.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'obtained by suppression of the truth'): from Latin surreptitius (from the verb surripere, from sub- 'secretly' + rapere 'seize') + -ous.
Words that rhyme with surreptitiousadventitious, Aloysius, ambitious, auspicious, avaricious, capricious, conspicuous, delicious, expeditious, factitious, fictitious, flagitious, judicious, lubricious, malicious, Mauritius, meretricious, nutritious, officious, pernicious, propitious, repetitious, seditious, siliceous, superstitious, suppositious, suspicious, vicious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.