- A person who followed an army and sold provisions to the soldiers.More example sentences
- The middle section consists of two long poems about soldiers and war, the second of which gives the collection its title: a sutler was a camp-follower who sold provisions to soldiers - provisions often taken from the dead.
- Essentially a sutler was a camp follower who sold provisions to the soldiers, part of early logistics.
- Among the sutlers ' stores captured by the Confederates at Manassas Junction (a major Union supply base) on August 26-27, 1862, were quantities of canned oysters.
late 16th century: from obsolete Dutch soeteler, from soetelen 'perform menial duties'.
More definitions of sutlerDefinition of sutler in:
- The British & World English dictionary