- Narrow bands of cloth formerly wrapped around a newborn child to restrain its movements and quiet it.More example sentences
- The Virgin Mary is said to have dried her newborn's swaddling clothes by spreading them on a bed of wild lavender.
- He gave the robe to the parents of a newborn baby to warm the child wrapped only in swaddling clothes.
- Dear little babies, wrapped in swaddling clothes, contented, well-looked-after, no doubt well-nourished by well-nourished mums whose breasts were brimming with milk.
More definitions of swaddling clothesDefinition of swaddling clothes in:
- The British & World English dictionary