Definition of swallowtail in English:
1 (also swallowtail butterfly) A large brightly colored butterfly with taillike projections (suggestive of a swallow’s tail) on the hind wings.
- Family Papilionidae: many genera and species, including the pipevine swallowtail (Battus philenor) of southern North America and the eastern tiger swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) of eastern North America
- Citrus attracts the swallowtail butterfly, and the larvae resemble bird droppings, but you will want to leave the young alone for the sake of future butterflies.
- Dill and fennel are good plants for the caterpillars of the black swallowtail butterfly.
- After mating, the male tiger swallowtail butterfly deposits a small ‘mating plug’ inside the female to try to prevent her from mating again.
2 [usually as modifier] A deeply forked tail; a thing resembling such a tail in shape: swallowtail suits
More example sentences
- I am not going back as far as the days of the corduroy and the swallow-tailed coat but what I remember myself.
- Two military knights, in uniforms of scarlet swallowtail coats with black arm bands, stood in solemn vigil, guarding the Princess's coffin.
- They all look slightly ridiculous in their epaulets and tin pot hats and braided swallowtail coats.
- Example sentences
- The ones I missed right off the bat were the swallow-tailed butterflies (the big yellow and black ones that used to be everywhere), the long-tailed hummingbird and Lignum Vitae trees.
- Higher still, trapeze performers dive and fall: swallow-tailed kite, painted bunting, Cooper's hawk.
- There were gopher tortoises here and above us swallow-tailed kites.
Words that rhyme with swallowtailhorsetail • folktale
Definition of swallowtail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.