British term for rutabaga.
- Thicken soups and casseroles with puréed vegetables such as potato, swedes, onions and carrots.
- Root vegetables such as turnips, swedes and potatoes can last for months if kept in the dark.
- Then parsnips, onions, carrots, swedes, chestnuts, haricot beans or split peas, a garlic clove.
Early 19th century: from Swede, being first introduced into Scotland from Sweden in 1781–82.
A native or inhabitant of Sweden, or a person of Swedish descent.
- Over here there's a few Swedes and Finns discussing strategy in their native tongues.
- The Swedes and Finns have been harvesting forest biomass to use as energy since the 1970s.
- The competition for the purest vodka is now a two-horse race between the Swedes and the Finns.
Words that rhyme with Swedeaccede, bead, Bede, bleed, breed, cede, concede, creed, deed, Eid, exceed, feed, Gide, God speed, greed, he'd, heed, impede, interbreed, intercede, Jamshid, knead, lead, mead, Mede, meed, misdeed, mislead, misread, need, plead, proceed, read, rede, reed, Reid, retrocede, screed, secede, seed, she'd, speed, stampede, steed, succeed, supersede, tweed, weak-kneed, we'd, weed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan