- 1A person or device that cleans a floor or road by sweeping.More example sentences
- Two days ago I saw road sweepers and contractors cleaning the streets around Chessington and Hook and doing a good job of it.
- Guards, policemen, cleaning ladies and road sweepers will all be dancing in the street this weekend to launch the BBC's marketing campaign for The Queen's Golden Jubilee.
- Bagenalstown is to get a new ‘green machine’ - a mechanical sweeper to clean the streets of the town.
- 2A small nocturnal shoaling fish of reefs and coastal waters, occurring chiefly in the tropical Indo-Pacific.
More example sentences
- Family Pempheridae: several genera and species, including the western Atlantic glassy sweeper (Pempheris schomburgki), with transparent young
- Around the pinnacles, lionfish and coral groupers lay ready to apprehend stragglers from the shoals of sweepers, while yellow-mouthed moray eels poked their heads from gaps in the coral as I passed.
- Here we found lionfish, moray eels and sweepers.
- Entirely encrusted with corals, Mawali is a lively reef, sheltering huge scorpionfish, nudibranchs, sweepers, flower groupers, lionfish and harlequin ghost pipefish.
More definitions of sweeperDefinition of sweeper in:
- The British & World English dictionary