Definition of sweet flag in English:
An Old World waterside plant of the arum family, with leaves that resemble those of the iris. It is used medicinally and as a flavoring. Also called calamus.
- Acorus calamus, family Araceae
- Flag iris and sweet flag are two delightful perennial plants which, although they don't come from the same family, enjoy similar growing conditions.
- In eastern Massachusetts they call the spikes of fruit of the sweet flag critch-crotches, probably from the zigzag lines which mark the divisions between each member of the spike and its neighbors.
- 7 John Ordway also mentions the cherries; he adds that William Bratton came across a large quantity of a plant they called sweet flag.
Definition of sweet flag in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan