Definition of sweet flag in English:
An Old World waterside plant of the arum family, with leaves that resemble those of the iris. It is used medicinally and as a flavoring. Also called calamus.
- Acorus calamus, family Araceae
- Flag iris and sweet flag are two delightful perennial plants which, although they don't come from the same family, enjoy similar growing conditions.
- In eastern Massachusetts they call the spikes of fruit of the sweet flag critch-crotches, probably from the zigzag lines which mark the divisions between each member of the spike and its neighbors.
- 7 John Ordway also mentions the cherries; he adds that William Bratton came across a large quantity of a plant they called sweet flag.
Definition of sweet flag in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.