Definition of sweetener in English:
1A substance used to sweeten food or drink, especially one other than sugar.
- Alcohol, tomatoes, spices, chocolate, caffeine, citrus drinks, artificial sweeteners and acidic foods may irritate your bladder.
- Often, bodybuilders will substitute diet sodas and powdered drink mixes with artificial sweeteners to avoid sugar calories.
- Many avoid refined white sugar, using sweeteners like brown rice syrup, fruit juice concentrate or stevia.
1.1 informal An inducement, typically in the form of money or a concession: these sweeteners made rental cars a bargain
More example sentences
- The money was a sweetener to speed the release of Anderson and other kidnapped Americans.
- Parents in South Lakeland are being offered cash sweeteners to persuade them not to take their youngsters out of school in term time.
- Logic have recently been offering sweeteners to try to encourage people to sign up, but they've been pretty unimpressive.
Definition of sweetener in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.