Definition of sweetener in English:
1A substance used to sweeten food or drink, especially one other than sugar.
- Alcohol, tomatoes, spices, chocolate, caffeine, citrus drinks, artificial sweeteners and acidic foods may irritate your bladder.
- Often, bodybuilders will substitute diet sodas and powdered drink mixes with artificial sweeteners to avoid sugar calories.
- Many avoid refined white sugar, using sweeteners like brown rice syrup, fruit juice concentrate or stevia.
1.1 informal An inducement, typically in the form of money or a concession: these sweeteners made rental cars a bargain
More example sentences
- The money was a sweetener to speed the release of Anderson and other kidnapped Americans.
- Parents in South Lakeland are being offered cash sweeteners to persuade them not to take their youngsters out of school in term time.
- Logic have recently been offering sweeteners to try to encourage people to sign up, but they've been pretty unimpressive.
Definition of sweetener in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan