- A part of a large organ in which some of the pipes are enclosed, with a movable shutter for controlling the sound level.More example sentences
- If the organ was provided with a swell box (a Spanish 17th-century invention), it would certainly be in the Brustwerk, sometimes in the Oberwerk as well.
- The organ at St. Paul's has a swell box inside the swell box, allowing greater subtlety in dynamics.
- Both the pipes and speakers are enclosed in a swell box controlled by the left-most expression pedal.
More definitions of swell boxDefinition of swell box in:
- The British & World English dictionary