Definition of switch-hitter in English:
1A batter who can hit from either side of home plate.
- Reluctantly at first, the Orioles let it happen and watched Murray blossom into one of the greatest switch-hitters in baseball history.
- A chart in the July issue of Baseball Digest listed switch-hitters with the most extra-base hits in a season.
- The Rangers had four switch-hitters in their major league camp - two on the 40-man roster, Carl Everett and Mark Teixeira, and two non-roster invitees.
1.1North American informal A bisexual.
- No, I don't broadcast around the school that I'm a switch-hitter, but at that moment I could have and I wouldn't have cared who heard me, because she was back with me.
- She definitely didn't want to let the cat out of the bag about her being a switch hitter.
- In those days, she was a switch-hitter, now she was straight dyke.
- Example sentences
- Bernie Williams switch-hits, but he was better from the left side of the plate than the right.
- He makes a good amount of contact, and better yet, he switch-hits, so he'll make contact in any game situation.
- He switch-hit from 1948 through 1951, and then went back to batting left-handed in 1952 when be finished his career with the Cleveland Indians.
- Example sentences
- The huge switch-hitting first baseman is only 28, and figures to be entering his peak years. If he can stay healthy, he's almost a cinch to make an exceptional comeback.
- The Red Sox could use the switch-hitting Bill Mueller at third and the left-handed hitting Adam Kennedy at second against righties and use the right-handed hitting Youkilis at third and Mueller at second against lefties.
- Tony Clark put together four good years with the Tigers in the 1990s, beginning in 1996 as a 24-year-old switch-hitting first baseman who belted 27 homers.
Definition of switch-hitter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia