Definition of switch-hitter in English:
1A batter who can hit from either side of home plate.
- Reluctantly at first, the Orioles let it happen and watched Murray blossom into one of the greatest switch-hitters in baseball history.
- A chart in the July issue of Baseball Digest listed switch-hitters with the most extra-base hits in a season.
- The Rangers had four switch-hitters in their major league camp - two on the 40-man roster, Carl Everett and Mark Teixeira, and two non-roster invitees.
1.1North American informal A bisexual.
- No, I don't broadcast around the school that I'm a switch-hitter, but at that moment I could have and I wouldn't have cared who heard me, because she was back with me.
- She definitely didn't want to let the cat out of the bag about her being a switch hitter.
- In those days, she was a switch-hitter, now she was straight dyke.
- Example sentences
- Bernie Williams switch-hits, but he was better from the left side of the plate than the right.
- He makes a good amount of contact, and better yet, he switch-hits, so he'll make contact in any game situation.
- He switch-hit from 1948 through 1951, and then went back to batting left-handed in 1952 when be finished his career with the Cleveland Indians.
- Example sentences
- The huge switch-hitting first baseman is only 28, and figures to be entering his peak years. If he can stay healthy, he's almost a cinch to make an exceptional comeback.
- The Red Sox could use the switch-hitting Bill Mueller at third and the left-handed hitting Adam Kennedy at second against righties and use the right-handed hitting Youkilis at third and Mueller at second against lefties.
- Tony Clark put together four good years with the Tigers in the 1990s, beginning in 1996 as a 24-year-old switch-hitting first baseman who belted 27 homers.
Definition of switch-hitter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.