Definition of switchyard in English:
1The part of a railroad yard taken up by junctions, in which trains are made up.
- Over 16-course Chinese dinners, Teguh Ganda charmed investors with stories of his humble college education in China during the Cultural Revolution and his days working in a railroad switchyard.
- On exam, his chest and abdomen looks like a railroad switchyard.
- They contemplated moving the highway to accommodate a possible railway switchyard.
2An enclosed area of a power system containing the switchgear.
- The project employs 310 Iraqi workers and covers the rehabilitation of both turbines and the refurbishment of the 132kV switchyard.
- There, the power generation plant at Khor Az Zubahr has a dual switchyard.
- The scope of work for the project involves the installation of two new 120 MW turbines and accompanying skids, modules, switchyard, busduct, transformers, and embedded conduit systems.
Definition of switchyard in:
- British & World English dictionary