- The sword carried in front of a sovereign on state occasions.More example sentences
- The roof is ornamented with three cherubs, representing England, Scotland and Ireland, supporting the royal crown and holding the sceptre, sword of state and ensign of knighthood.
- Two swords of justice and a sword of mercy date from the early 17th cent.: a fourth sword, the sword of state, was made in 1678.
- Of the swords of state borne before the Queen, the chief, Curtana - the short, blunt sword of mercy - was carried by the Earl of Derby, who had carried it at Mary's coronation.
More definitions of sword of stateDefinition of sword of state in:
- The British & World English dictionary