(also sword-billed hummingbird)
Definition of swordbill in English:
A mainly green hummingbird with a very long bill, found in northern South America.
- Ensifera ensifera, family Trochilidae
- It's known for its great birdlife, with many small flocks of colourful scarlet-bellied mountain tanagers and sword-billed hummingbirds.
- Some, like lancebills and swordbills, can't use them because of bill shape.
- Clearly this is still one of the most important, if not the most important factor controlling bill shape, otherwise we wouldn't have curlews, ibises, sword-billed hummingbirds, flamingos, crossbills, or all those oystercatcher polymorphs.
Definition of swordbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan