Definition of swordfish in English:
noun (plural same or swordfishes)
A large edible marine fish with a streamlined body and a long flattened swordlike snout, related to the billfishes and popular as a game fish.
- Xiphias gladius, the only member of the family Xiphiidae
- Big fish - like swordfish and bluefin tuna - are attracted to fronts where cold and warm waters meet.
- Other high-mercury fish that pregnant women should avoid include albacore tuna, swordfish, and tilefish.
- Recent studies have shown that marine fish such as shark, swordfish, and king mackerel can also contain high levels of mercury.
Definition of swordfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan