Definition of swordplay in English:
1The activity or skill of fencing with swords or foils.
- Swetnam was teaching fencing and general swordplay at a time when the rapier was making a distinct change from a cut and thrust weapon to that of a primarily thrusting weapon.
- He also gives demonstrations of classical fencing and historical swordplay.
- Ultimately, it is the fencing, the swordplay in the swashbuckler movie, that catches our attention.
1.1Repartee; skillful debate: this intellectual swordplay went on for several minutes
More example sentences
- The classic love story of Cyrano's wooing of Roxanne is filled with comedy and intellectual swordplay.
- The camera swings slowly round the hospital room as these veterans of intellectual swordplay recall the ideologies they had once lived by.
- Even boys without bookish hopes aped their careless style of dress and the ritual swordplay of their speech.
Definition of swordplay in:
- British & World English dictionary