Definition of swordplay in English:
1The activity or skill of fencing with swords or foils.
- Swetnam was teaching fencing and general swordplay at a time when the rapier was making a distinct change from a cut and thrust weapon to that of a primarily thrusting weapon.
- He also gives demonstrations of classical fencing and historical swordplay.
- Ultimately, it is the fencing, the swordplay in the swashbuckler movie, that catches our attention.
1.1Repartee; skillful debate: this intellectual swordplay went on for several minutes
More example sentences
- The classic love story of Cyrano's wooing of Roxanne is filled with comedy and intellectual swordplay.
- The camera swings slowly round the hospital room as these veterans of intellectual swordplay recall the ideologies they had once lived by.
- Even boys without bookish hopes aped their careless style of dress and the ritual swordplay of their speech.
Definition of swordplay in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan