Definition of swordtail in English:
A livebearing freshwater fish of Central America, popular in aquariums. The lower edge of the tail is elongated and brightly marked in the male.
- Xiphophorus helleri, family Poeciliidae
- Many fish lay eggs, but some - including common aquarium fish such as guppies, swordtails, and mollies - retain the eggs inside their bodies until hatching.
- Such video techniques have been particularly effective in female mate choice studies in fishes, including guppies, sticklebacks, and swordtails.
- Poeciliids, namely guppies and swordtails, are favorite subjects of sexual selection studies, in particular those concerning mate choice and its role in the maintenance of male secondary sex traits.
Definition of swordtail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan